With Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage
- 1 Medium Spaghetti Squash (pre-cooked)
- 12 oz. Home Made Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage
- 1 small Onion
- 14 oz. can diced No-Salt Added Tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- Bake squash in advance to reduce overall cooking time.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Cut lengthwise, remove seeds, place in shallow baking pan flat side down, and add ½” water.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool enough to handle and scrape crosswise to pull strands from shell.
- Dice onion.
- Slice sausage into ¼ – ½ inch pieces and peel, as this one has a pork casing. (Measure 5-6 oz. so you know how many pieces to dish up.)
- Sauté garlic and onion in ½ tbsp. olive oil over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except fresh basil) and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serving Suggestion & Tips:
- Serves 2 (1 cup sauce and 6 oz. sausage pieces).
- Will freeze well.
- Place 1 cup squash in center of plate and make well in center, pour on 1 cup pomodoro sauce and top with sausage slices. Garnish with fresh sprig of basil and enjoy!